Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Cycling Challenge

Many of my friends know that I am not a person for exercise. I have my momentary lapses of sanity, when I uselessly try to do Billy's Boot camp, or P90X, but after the first week I usually give up do to lack of motivation/support/dedication. There is a small gym where I work, but the idea of spending more time there makes me mentally cringe sometimes.

Before I go any further, let me clarify that my weight does not bother me. I may be a few pounds over where the established guidelines say I should be for my height (5'5"=140-145lbs is what I should be, I'm at about 155-160lbs at the moment), but I am not fat. I lack toning, but I am satisfied with my weight.  

The only real exercise I've stuck with through the years was cycling. I find it to be a great stress reliever, and when I manage to do it regularly I can see the results after  a few rides. Stronger legs, more endurance, inches lost. In the last couple of years I lost the ability to ride because I was commute two hours daily, so I didn't have the time. Last year however, I transferred to a department that's located approximately 3.5 miles from my home, which makes it the ideal distance for a ride. Now that the weather is appropriate, I have decided to attempt to ride to and from work.

Let me explain this decision. My best friend, whom we shall refer to as ME1, also wants to acquire a healthier body image, but we both lack a support network. So in an effort to motivate ourselves we made a bet. Now anyone who knows me know I will not usually bet unless I know the outcome for certain. However, this particular bet can go either way. The goal is to achieve an overall healthier body. The prize: A paid weekend at the Texas coast (well gasoline and lodging anyways). Technically we both win, since both of us will be going, but one of us will be going for FREE.

Since I lack a support network at home, I've decided to start a blog dedicated to this. I will post pictures, as well as updates, in hopes that some of you might offer criticism/support/random advice.

Please feel free to share this blog, but if you're a "hater" keep the comments to yourself. The goal is a support network, not a tear-me-down network.

4 comments:

  1. You have to follow it though... so I'm gonna go to your blog and check. LOL. Please send any possible supporters my way, I know I'll need all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I'll be eagerly watching your progress :)

    ReplyDelete